Yesterday was National Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day. So naturally I decided that I should bake. I had to celebrate somehow right? I have guests staying at my house this week, so I wanted to make sure breakfast was a no brainer. I also have a million deadlines this week and baking seems to calm me in some weird way.
I love these little blackberry breakfast bites because they are easy to make, low in calories, and low in sodium. And they are not super sweet, so don’t expect a sugar bomb. I also prefer using whole wheat white flour because it doesn’t make my baked foods taste like cardboard.
Who wants to eat cardboard? Gross.
And bonus…each muffin has about a gram of fiber. I feel like fiber is the red headed stepchild of the nutrition world. It actually plays a really important role in our health! It serves as the scrub brush for our gut and can help prevent heart disease and certain types of cancer. <—Knowledge bomb right there. Boom.
I know, I know….
They are small and you might want to eat 10, but I promise after 3 or 4 you will have your fix. And at only 55 calories each, you can enjoy 3 or 4 and not feel guilty about it.
But please remember to breathe in between bites. I will not be held responsible for blackberry overload.
By the way, it’s finally starting to warm up here in Nebraska. Monday it hit 78 degrees but then Tuesday night it was snowing again. SNOWING. There is no place like Nebraska.
Ok, maybe milk & cookies… but this is a close second!
- 2 cups whole wheat white flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 oz plain nonfat greek yogurt
- ½ cup 1% milk
- 2 6oz container blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
- Mix together flour, salt, and baking powder
- In a separate dish, cream together sugar, eggs, butter, and vanilla
- Add the flour mixture to your creamed mixture and then add milk and yogurt.
- Once that is mixed together, gently fold in blackberries and place in greased mini muffin pan.
- Bake 18-20 minutes. Makes about 42 mini muffins