It’s time to celebrate Taco Tuesday and taco bout how much I love peanuts!
Last year I discovered peanut powder and my life has never been the same. I’ve always been a fan of peanuts and peanut butter, so this new product has become one my favorites. It’s basically powdered peanut butter and you can use it in smoothies, baking and even soups or salad dressings. It also contains fewer calories compared to peanut butter. For example, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter contains 190 calories, 7 grams of protein and 16 grams of fat. But 2 tablespoons of peanut powder contains 47 calories, 5 grams of protein and only 1.5 grams of fat. That’s a huge different in fat and calories!
Recently the National Peanut Board sent me a free sample of peanut powder and challenged a group of us to “shell out for health.” Ha! I put it to good use by making these delicious grilled chicken street tacos with a spicy peanut sauce. Not only is the sauce made with peanut powder, but even the grilled chicken is seasoned with peanut powder!
Also, have you noticed how difficult it can be to measure out peanut butter? It takes me forever to scoop it out and transfer it from the jar to the measuring cup and into the mixing bowl. Peanut powder makes things a little less messy!
In order to season the chicken, I combined 1 tablespoon of Montreal Chicken seasoning and 1 tablespoon peanut powder. I used this mixture as a rub and coated the chicken before I placed it on the hot grill. I was curious how the meat would taste and I was pleasantly surprised. It was flavorful enough without being too salty.
I love these little street tacos because I can eat 2 and feel completely satisfied. The trick is to make what’s inside count! This is why I created a slaw and a spicy peanut sauce to boot! The cabbage slaw is super filling and chicken + peanut sauce provide good, quality protein. The peanut sauce is made with peanut powder, warm water, reduced sodium soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and fresh garlic. The fresh garlic adds just enough heat to the sauce and it’s delicious drizzled over the grilled chicken and slaw.
- Grilled Chicken:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken tenders
- 1 TB Montreal Chicken Seasoning
- 1 TB Peanut Powder
- Taco Slaw:
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lime - use the zest and all the juice
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- Spicy Peanut Sauce:
- ½ cup warn water
- ½ cup peanut powder
- 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 TB lime juice
- 1 TB brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Mini Flour Tortillas (street taco size) Available in a package of 12 (flour) and 24 (corn)
- Queso Fresco Cheese (available in 12 oz. package)
- Grilled Chicken: Combine Montreal Chicken seasoning and peanut powder and use it as a rub for the chicken tenders. Preheat grill and once grill is nice and hot, cook chicken tenders until fully cooked. While chicken is cooking prepare the taco slaw and peanut sauce.
- Taco Slaw: Combine all ingredients and set aside.
- Peanut Sauce: Combine all ingredients and set aside.
- When chicken is fully cooked, remove from grill and shred into bite size pieces. In order to build the street taco, take a flour tortilla and top with taco slaw and grilled chicken. Then pour a small amount of the spicy peanut sauce over the grilled chicken and taco slaw. Top with a few sprinkles of queso fresco cheese.