This conversation is sponsored by the Calorie Control Council. The Calorie Control Council provided compensation for me to create this recipe and discuss low calorie sweeteners. The opinions and text are all mine.
Did you know that today is National Watermelon Day? Whenever I think about watermelon, I think about my 10 year old nephew because his favorite fruit is watermelon. During the summer months, watermelon is always a must at family events. Otherwise, Drew will be the first to ask why there is no watermelon on the table.
Watermelon is also one of my favorite fruits because it contains Vitamin A, C, B6, and potassium. Vitamins A and C are great for healthy skin and potassium plays in important role in blood pressure and fluid balance. It’s also low in calories—about 45 calories per cup! It’s also hydrating making it one of the most perfect fruits for the summer heat!
This watermelon and crunchy cucumber salad makes a great side dish for your summer entrees and it has no added sugar. This salad combines cubed watermelon, sliced Persian cucumbers, sliced red onion, and diced yellow bell pepper. The dressing includes white balsamic vinegar, canola oil, celery salt, and aspartame for additional sweetness. Using a sweetener like aspartame helps reduce calories from added sugar. Plus aspartame is safe, delicious and is a great alternative for people wanting to reduce sugar in their diet.
Happy National Watermelon Day!
- 5-6 cups cubed seedless watermelon (or use half of small seedless watermelon)
- 3 cups sliced Persian cucumbers (about 6 Persian cucumbers)
- ½ red onion, sliced in strips
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 oz. Canola Oil
- 1 oz. White Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Celery Salt
- 1 packet Aspartame
- Combine watermelon, cucumbers, onion, and bell pepper. Set aside. Combine canola oil, vinegar, celery salt, and aspartame in a mason jar with lid. Put the lid on the mason jar and then shake until all ingredients are combine and dressing looks creamy. Pour dressing over salad and gently mix until the salad has a nice coating. Refrigerate for an hour before serving. Garnish with feta cheese if desired.