- 1 lb Bacon, (Thick cut) chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, small dice
- 3 shallots, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat a dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Add chopped bacon and cook, stirring often. When the bacon has rendered and starting to crisp, remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Discard bacon fat but reserve 1 TB. To the same pot or dutch oven, return to low-medium heat and add onion and shallots. Cook and stir occasionally for about 20 minutes or until onions are caramelized.
- Add bacon back to the pan and add sugar, syrup, coffee, vinegar and red pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until most of the liquid is gone, about 1 hour. Store in refrigerator.