Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- 1 lb pasta (elbow macaroni or shells)
- 1 oz butter
- 1 oz flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch white pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup butternut squash puree
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 TB butter
- Chopped Parsley and Shaved Parmesan if desired
- Cook pasta as directed. (You can make the sauce while the pasta is boiling) Drain pasta and set aside.
- Warm oil over medium heat. Add flour, constantly stirring and cook roux until golden. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly until smooth. Cook until thickened and season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
- Once sauce has thickened, add cheddar and mix until combined.
- Spoon in butternut squash puree and mix well. Add hot sauce and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Combine pasta with sauce and pour into a 9 x 13" that has been sprayed with cooking oil.
- Serve as is OR combine bread crumbs with melted butter and sprinkle over the top of the pasta.
- Place in oven and broil on high heat until bread crumbs are toasted.
- Remove from oven and garnish with chopped parsley and parmesan cheese if desired.