Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 TB Olive or Canola Oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 32 oz container Chicken Broth (reduced sodium)
- 1 14 oz can Black Beans (drained)
- 1 14 oz can Pinto Beans (drained)
- 2 14.5 oz can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (typically 2 chicken breasts)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I use 1/2 teaspoon because I like it spicy!)
- Tortilla Strips
- Instructions using the InstaPot or Pressure Cooker
- Using the saute function, add your oil and once the cooker is fully warmed up or ready to saute, add the diced onion and garlic. Stir and cook for about 3-5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- After onions are cooked, add chicken broth, beans, tomatoes/green chilies, corn, seasonings and chicken. You can place the raw chicken on top.
- Secure the lid and cook for 10 minutes. (Now, it might take 10-15 minutes for your pressure cooker to pressurize.)
- Once you’ve cooked for 10 minutes, let it set for 10 minutes. This is called natural release.
- After 10 minutes, release the rest of the pressure by opening the vent in the lid. This would be called the quick release.
- Once the pressure has been released, remove lid and then remove your chicken breasts from the cooker. The chicken should be fully cooked which will make it very easy to shred.
- Shred the chicken using two forks.
- Once you’ve shredded the chicken, place it back in the cooker, give it a good STIR, and then serve with tortilla strips, cheese or avocado if desired.