Split Pea & Lentil Soup
- 2 Tbs Canola Oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper (more to taste)
- 1 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 cup split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Lemon (optional)
- Cilantro (optional)
- Plain Greek yogurt (optional)
- Heat oil in dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, and celery. Cook until translucent. Add garlic, cumin, salt and pepper, cook 30 seconds more.
- Add lentils, split peas and broth. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes or until split peas reach desired tenderness.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon, cilantro, and plain Greek yogurt if desired.