Tomato Basil & White Bean Soup
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white onion (or 1 small onion), diced
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15.5 oz) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- Optional garnish: fresh basil, croutons or shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and salt and cook until the onions are softened. This takes about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, vegetable broth, red pepper flakes and dried basil. Stir until ingredients are combined and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- After the soup has simmered, pour into a blender and puree until smooth. Serve immediately or return to pan and continue to keep warm on low heat until ready to serve.
- Garnish with fresh basil, croutons or shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Makes about 4 (1 cup) servings.