White bean, basil and pork smash burger with orange aioli and grilled pineapple
- 1 (16 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed 1/3 cup water • 1 lb lean ground pork • 1 TB basil, minced • 1 TB garlic, minced • 1 TB shallots, minced • 1 tsp Kosher salt • 1 tsp pepper • 4 slices provolone cheese • 4 slices grilled pineapple rings • 4 lettuce leaves • 4 buns
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 1 TB basil, minced
- 1 TB garlic, minced
- 1 TB shallots, minced
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 slices provolone cheese, cut each slice into 3 parts for sliders
- 4 slices grilled pineapple rings, cut each slice into 3 parts for sliders
- 4 lettuce leaves or 12 for sliders
- 4 buns (hawaiian rolls) or 12 slider buns
- 3 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 TB orange zest
- 2 TB freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp shallot, finely minced
- ¼ tsp fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine drained beans with water in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Using clean hands or gloves, combine bean mixture with ground pork, basil, garlic, shallots, Kosher salt and pepper. Place mixture in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes before forming burger patties.
- While the burger mixture is chilling, make the orange aioli. Start by whisking together egg yolks and very slowly whisk in vegetable oil until mixture thickens. Season with orange zest, orange juice, shallots, garlic and salt. Place aioli in the refrigerator until service.
- Preheat grill and griddle on high heat. Once ready, grill pineapple rings 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Divide burger mixture into 4 equal parts, each should weigh about 6.5 oz. (FOR SLIDERS: each portion should weigh around 2 oz. or the size of a golf ball.) Roll into a ball and place on hot griddle, smash with spatula and let cook 3-5 minutes on each side or until internal temperature of 160 F is reached. If desired, place 1 slice provolone cheese on each burger 1-2 minutes before pulling from griddle.
- For plating, place burger on bottom bun and top with grilled pineapple, leaf lettuce and drizzle aioli over the lettuce before placing the top bun. Serve immediately.