Looking for the perfect dish to serve Christmas morning? Friends, this is it! During the Holidays, I love enjoying really delicious breakfast food. And since December is national pear month, I wanted to celebrate by including pears in this recipe. Also, if I’m honest, I could probably just eat the caramelized pears and be totally happy. Ha!
Baked Caramelized Pear and Pecan French Toast
- 1 loaf French Bread
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 pears, cored and sliced in strips
- 2 TB butter
- 6 TB maple syrup, divided
- 1/2 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Slice french bread into 1/2 inch slices and line baking pan in 2 rows.
- Combine eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg, cardamom, salt, orange zest and 3 TB maple syrup.
- Pour egg mixture over bread, coating each slice of bread. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, melt 2 TB butter in a medium sized sauce pan. Add sliced pears and cook until soft. Add 1 TB maple syrup and cook until pears are caramelized.
- When pears are finished, place on top of bread & egg mixture, evenly placing across the top.
- Top with pecans and drizzle 2 TB maple syrup over the top. Bake for 50 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream.