I have a love hate relationship with cole slaw. I love the cabbage, but I’m not a fan of the dressing it’s usually drowning in. Who said cole slaw has to drown in mayonnaise? A year ago I discovered infused balsamic vinegars and my life has never been the same.
I call this “Hawaiian slaw” because…
1. The name makes me happy and reminds me of beautiful Hawaiian flowers.
2. It contains coconut balsamic dressing. And when I think of coconuts, I think of Hawaii and how my brother got his finger stuck in a coconut while we were vacationing there.
I’ve actually been to Hawaii three times. The first two times were with my family and the last time was on my honeymoon almost 10 years ago. I was kind of obsessed with the Elvis movie “Blue Hawaii” when I was younger. My friend and I would rent it every weekend and watch it over & over. We had a thing for Elvis even though we were 10 years old. (Thanks Mom for introducing me to Elvis). I remember thinking that I wanted to get married on a boat while floating down a lagoon. Who wouldn’t? (Especially after hearing Elvis sing “I can’t help falling in love with you” while wearing his white Hawaiian jump suit)
My husband is a punk since he recently went to Hawaii on business without me. I guess I was feeling sorry for myself. So I prepared something that would remind me of the warm Hawaiian sun instead of the nasty snow storm outside my window. I also used brussel sprouts instead of cabbage because that’s what I had in the house. You can use green cabbage, but brussel sprouts are basically baby cabbages.
This is a great side dish because it’s filling and colorful. Ymmm. I think it goes well with fish or chicken. You might be wondering where to get infused balsamic vinegar? I discovered it at an olive oil shop in Silverthorne, CO. Since then, an olive oil shop opened up in my hometown that also carries balsamic vinegars. I love balsamic vinegar because it packs a ton of flavor without fat and sodium. It’s perfect if you’re looking to reduce calories and salt. If you’re wondering where to find this magic, I would run a google search to see if you have any shops near you. This is definitely a Hawaiian slaw that you’ll be sure to fall in love with. (Minus Elvis in his jump suit)
- 4 cups shredded Brussel Sprouts
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix together shredded brussel sprouts, shredded carrots, and red cabbage.
- Prepare dressing in a separate dish combining olive oil, coconut balsamic vinegar, pepper, and salt. Whisk together and add to the cabbage mix.
Also, you should totally watch this while you eat it.