I decided for my birthday that I wanted a new grill because the one we had was ancient. And I mean ancient! My husband had actually bought the old grill when he was in college! I can’t believe it survived as long as it did. Last weekend the hub’s college grill went to grill heaven and we brought home our new grill thanks to our discover cash back bonus. I thought that Cinco de Mayo was the perfect day to make it’s inaugural culinary voyage.
As we were grill shopping, I was easily seduced by the “infrared” method vs tradition grilling. I’m a total nerd and when it comes to food tech, I’m willing to try anything. Apparently it’s supposed to make your meats even juicer? All I know is that my chicken and my veggies tasted fantastic. This past weekend my husband & I spent the weekend at a retreat where we enjoyed some fabulous food. Almost too fabulous, which was why it was nice to have a healthy and simple meal after a weekend of indulgence.
Ok, I suppose these aren’t actually burgers since I’m not using ground meat, but I used hamburger buns which makes it like a burger, right? And it was finally nice enough to grill outside! It’s been so windy & rainy around here, which has made it tough to find a night nice enough for grilling outside. Also, it’s like pulling teeth to get my husband to eat his veggies. But when it comes to grilled veggies, he would eat the entire basket of these grilled peppers.
I also want to let you all in on a little secret. For the past year, my husband and I have been talking about starting a couples blog about life, love, and entrepreneurship. In our 9.5 years of marriage, we have never written a Christmas card. But we did buy the domain www.benandamber.com for our wedding website many moons ago, which we have kept ever since. After this weekend, we decided to launch our site and I wrote our first blog on it about the retreat we attended this weekend. You can check out my first post HERE.
I don’t know about you, but I am ready for summer food!
- 1.5 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 4 oz portions)
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow red pepper
- 1 orange red pepper
- 1 sweet onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 4 TB olive oil (infused with lime if you can find it, otherwise just use the juice from a lime)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 6 Sandwich Thin Buns- Whole Wheat, 100 calorie
- -4 hours before you grill, place chicken in ziplock bag with 2 TB lime infused garlic olive oil, 1 tsp of pepper, and 1 tsp of garlic powder. Make sure chicken is coated with mixture and place back in refrigerator until time to grill.
- For fajita mixture: slice peppers and onion in strips and combine with salt, 2 TB lime infused garlic oil, 1 tsp of pepper, and 1 tsp of garlic and mix together. Make sure the peppers are coated with the oil and seasoning.
- Place both chicken and peppers on grill and cook until done.
- Serve with salsa, avocado slices, or light sour cream if desired.