One of the easiest ways you can give your salad a makeover is by adding dried fruit. I especially love dried cranberries because of their tart flavor and many health benefits!
Fun Facts About Cranberries:
- Scientists have shown that flavonoids give fruits, like cranberries, and vegetables most of their antioxidant properties and that a flavonoid-rich diet may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Drinking 8–16 oz. of 27% original, low- or no-calorie cranberry juice cocktail each day is recommended to maintain urinary tract health and prevent urinary tract infections.
- Dried cranberries are a good source of fiber with 2.3 grams per 40 gram serving (10% of the Daily Value)!
- One-quarter cup of dried cranberries is equal to ½ cup of fruit, according to MyPlate.
Yes, anybody can add dried cranberries to a salad, but the recipe for this dressing is amazing. Somehow boiling cranberries makes them even more delicious!
Special Thanks to the Cranberry Institute for sending me the dried cranberries, fun facts, and for sharing this amazing recipe! I was not compensated for this post. I just love cranberries because they make my heart happy. (In more ways than one!)
- Dressing Ingredients
- 4 Tbsp. cranberry juice
- 2 Tbsp. dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 6 Tbsp. canola oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Salad Ingredients
- 3 1/3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 small head of frisée lettuce
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Dressing: Place cranberry juice and dried cranberries in a small pot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Stir in vinegar and Dijon mustard. Gradually whisk in canola oil so the mixture becomes a dressing. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Salad: Rinse spinach and frisée; spin dry. Remove thick stems and cut larger leaves into bite-size pieces. Add avocado and onion slices.
- Gently toss salad ingredients with the dressing and serve.
- Tip: If preparing in advance, sprinkle avocado slices with lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Mix the salad ingredients with the dressing just before serving to keep the leaves fresh and crisp.